Condor Sighting Cusco, Chonta full day tour
This is a new tour that the Cusco region has to offer to customers where you will get the chance to enjoy the majestic sight of Andean Condors flying overhead. The Condor in Andean mythology was the most sacred animal, a messenger of the gods and this is why local people still worship the Condor in different ways to this day.
The Condor viewing point is at Apurimac Canyon, home to the Chonta community, in the Cusco region. This tour offers a great mix of Andean Condor sightings and culture, glorious snow capped peaks, local Quechua communities as well as Incan sites.
The Condor sighting tour is similar to the better known Condor sighting experiences offered in Arequipa, however it is offered in the Cusco region. We therefore offer this new option for people who are eager to see these majestic iconsof Peru but do not necessarily have enough time to make the trip to Arequipa to see them.
Chonta Condor Sighting – Overview
- 1 Day Cusco – Quillarumic – Tarawasi – Chonta Condor lookout – Cusco
Chonta Condor Sighting – Itinerary
1 Day: Cusco – Quillarumic – Tarawasi – Chonta Condor lookout – Cusco
We will pick you up from your hotel early in the morning and then we will drive by private transport bus to the Inca site of Quillarumiyoc. Here you will enjoy a tour of this archaelogical site from a local guide, who will be able to explain the details of the site and important Moonstone temple. After the tour we will continue driving to the next Inca site of Tarawasi where you will again enjoy a guided tour followed by some free time to explore this site at your leisure. We will then drive for another hour and a half to the starting point of our hike. The hike will be a gentle ascent up to the Condor viewing point above Apurimac Canyon where we will be able to enjoy the incredible sight of the enigmatic Andean Condor flying overhead. After taking some time to enjoy these iconic symbols of Peru soaring in their natural habitat, we will enjoy a packed lunch together before hiking back along the same route. Our private transport bus will then take us back to Cusco, where you will be dropped off at your hotel.
- Starting Altitude – 2900m / 12,467ft.
- Highest Altitude – 3400m / 14,107ft.
- Walking Distance – 6km / 3miles
- Meal included – Breakfast – Packed lunch
Included in Chonta Condor sighting Full day tour
- Stops at the Inca sites( Killarumiyoc and Tarawasi)
- Fluent English speaking tour guide
- Quality tour itinerary for a personalized service
- Entrance fee to the Inca sites and Condor sighting place
- Private tourist transportation
- Box lunch with veggie option
- Oxygen tank
- First aid kit.
Not included in Chonta Condor Sighting Full day tour:
- Tips for the guide and driver(totally volunteer)
- Walking poles
What to bring to the Chonta Condor Sighting Full day tour:
- Accurate dark color clothing (bright colors scare the Condors)
- A good camera with extra batteries.
- Binoculars (optional)
- Warm jacket, Rain gear, wind stopper, Sun hat.
- Sun glasses, Sunscreen, insect repellent.
- Small day pack with essential things
- Extra cash in soles
- Bottle water 2 liters per person
- US $525 per person
- Student Discount (only with active green ISIC card): US $20
- Under 15 years will pay as student: US $20.00
- Under 7 years Discount: US $35.00
- Hiking poles – US $10.00 (pair)
- Sleeping bag – US $10.00
- Vistadome (US $35) or Hiram Bingham (US $375) train for trip from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo
- Tinkuy Buffet Lunch at the Belmond Sanctuary Lodge on Day 2 – US $45