Ausangate Trek to Rainbow Mountain, Cusco – Peru
Enjoy and explore the sacred peak of Ausangate Trek to Rainbow Mountain (Ausangate Trek 6372 msnm) which is still one of the savege peaks of the peruvian andes and also for the locals and the natural colors of the rainbow Mountain in peru (5,020 m / 16,466 ft). , even recently ranked by national geographic as one of the best option in Cusco región where you should hike , that way we are lunching our hiking through some isolated communities, in which you may interact with local who are still keeping the culture and traditions alive! Where we have chance to see snow capped peaks around , herds of llamas and alpacas and vicunas, glaciers and turquoise lakes, all set within an incredibly colorful mountain range. The Ausangate trek to Rainbow Mountain is one of the best option on the region and you’ll likely not see another trekker.
Ausangate Trek to Rainbow Mountain – Highlights
- Amazing views of ausangate peak
- Amazing mountain ranges of ausangate
- Beautiful villages
- Amazing lake of grassland
- Llamas and alpacas
- History and cultural immersion
- Beautiful streams and cascades
- Flora and fauna
- Delicius food and culinary
- Amazing wonder of Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain
Ausangate Trek to Rainbow Mountain – Summary
- Trip style: Adventures ,history & cultural immersion
- Length: vinicunca rainbow mountain 4 Days/ 3 nights
- Frequency: from march to january ( february is closed every yeras)
- Group: 2 persons min , max 10 persons
- Fhysical Grading: moderate , challenging
- Total distance hiked: 47 km /29 miles
- Beginning altitude: 3,310mt /12465 ft
- Maximun altitude: 5,040mt /16,564 ft
Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain – Itinerary
- Day 1: Cusco – tinqui village – upis hot springs (Meals: /L/D)
- Day 2: Upis – arapa pass – paucacocha (Meals: B/L/D)
- Day 3: Paucacocha – ausangate pass – surine cocha(Meals: B/L/D)
- Day 4: Surine cocha – Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain (meals: B/L
Ausangate Trek to Rainbow Mountain – Itinerary
Day 1: Cusco ‐ Tinqui Village – Upis Hot Springs
We set off early from Cusco driving to Upis Rainbow mountain by private van to the small village of Tinqui. Where will see the impressive mountain range of Vilcanota and pass through several traditional locals villages on the way we have time to stop to take some photos. When we arrive at Tinqui, Ausangate Trek to Rainbow Mountain start, we will have a delicious breakfast prepared by our master chef. Then our horsemen will arrange all the group gear and packs on the horses and our trek officially begins. We begin our walk through farming communities and enjoy the breathtaking views of the mountain. We will walk for around 3 hrs and then its time for a lunch stop. After lunch we continue for another 2 hours to reach Upis (4,100 m / 13,448 ft). There we will have the opportunity to soak in the local hot springs before dinner, and camp for the night.
- Meals: Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner + snacks
- Minimum Elevation: 3,810 m / 12, 564 ft
- Maximum Elevation: 4,500 m / 14,532 ft
- Walking Distance: 12 km / 7 miles
- Approximate Walking Time: 6 – 7 hours
- Level of Difficulty: Moderate
Day 2: Upis ‐ Arapa Pass – Pucacocha
Early morning we wake you up with nice coca tea ,and then time to puck our staff for 40 minutes After a big breakfast we are ready to leave our camp site and get started on our hike to vinicunca rainbow mountain for the day. We will climb to the Arapa Pass which over (4,850 m / 15,908 ft). From this vantage point we will enjoy the contrast between dry desert like hills and breathtaking snow capped views of Mt. Ausangate and Pucacocha. This area also boasts three beautiful lakes with tones of reds, greens, and turquoises (Pucacocha, Hatun Pucacocha, and Qomercocha). Our second campsite is close to Ausangate glacier.
- Meals: Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner + snacks
- Minimum Elevation: 4,300 m / 13,560 ft
- Maximum Elevation: 4,890 m / 15,909 ft
- Walking Distance: 12 km / 7 miles
- Approximate Walking Time: 7 – 8 hours
- Level of Difficulty: Challenging
Day 3: Pucacocha – Ausangate Pass – Minasniyuq Pass – Surine Cocha
Today, you will be woken up with “room service” (a hot cup of coca tea). This is going to be one of the most beautiful days of the trek. We will see the Rainbow Mountains in the distance. Also, on today´s journey, we will pass through Alccatauri Village. This is where we will see their traditional village life. There are no trees in the area, so there is no wood to make houses or build fires. The residents are extremely enterprising and make their adobe houses out of mud and build fires with nature´s fertilizer, a.k.a. manure. J.
The day begins with a 1 ½ hour uphill climb until we reach the Ausangate pass (4,930 m / 16,170 ft). At this pass, we will see red vinicunca rainbow mountain and also have the opportunity to see Vicuñas, chinchillas and alpacas.
After we enjoy the pass, we descend for 1 ½ hours until we reach the Alccatauri Village (4,410 m / 14,455 ft). During our time at the village, in return for their generous hospitality, we will give them offerings of coca leaves. This is extremely valuable because this treasurable Peruvian staple can not be grown in this climate.
Following this incomparable experience, we will hike a further 30 minutes uphill to our lunch spot at a rustic lodge.
After a satisfying lunch, we will begin our voyage uphill to the second pass. After 1 ½ hours, we will follow Llama trail to Minasniyuq Pass. Here we will have our first views of the vinicunca Rainbow Mountain(5,023 m / 16,489 ft). At this pass, we will make offerings to Pacha Mama (Mother Earth).
The remainder of the day´s hike is a 1 hour downhill hike to our camp, Surine Cocha (4,800 m / 15,748 ft). The camp is on the banks of the gorgeous Surine Lake (pictured above).
- Meals: Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner + snacks
- Minimum Elevation: 4,410 m /14,455 ft
- Maximum Elevation: 5,023 m / 16,489 ft
- Walking Distance: 12 km/ 7miles
- Approximate Walking Time: 8 – 9 hours
- Level of Difficulty: Demanding
Day 4: Surine Cocha – Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain– Quesiuno Village – Cusco
Wake up call with nicce coca tea , After breakfast we hike gradually uphill for 2 hours until we reach the famous Ausangate Trek to Rainbow Mountain (5,030 m / 16,480 ft). Your guide will walk you to the best spots to get the perfect pictures of these incredible vinicunca rainbow mountain and the other surrounding mountains. Your guide will explain what makes these mountains so unique: they are composed of various minerals, which make different colors of stone striations. Not only is this one of the most stunning places in Peru and South America, these type of mountains are seen in only one other country in the world, China.
After taking photos and enjoying the view, we will continue on the trek until we reach Quesiuno Village. This is a 2 ½ hour downhill hike. We will have lunch there.
Our private van will be waiting to pick us up in this village after lunch. We will then drive 3 ½ hours back to Cusco. After one of the most rewarding experiences of your life, we will drop you off at your Cusco hotel. Approximate arrival time is 6 PM.
- Meals: Breakfast/Lunch
- Minimum Elevation: 5,030 m / 16,480 ft
- Maximum Elevation: 11 km /6.4 miles
- Approximate Walking Time: 5-6 hours
Level of Difficulty: Moderate
Services Included in the Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain:
- Professional English Speaking Tour Guide
- Assistant Tour Guide for groups of 9+
- Chef and assit chef
- Mules to carry our camping ítems
- 7 kg of your personal items.
- Pick-up from your hotel
- private van from your hotel to upis
- private vas from quesiuno village to Cusco
- Water (excluding the first 4 hours of the trek when you need to bring your own)
- 4Breakfasts, 3Lunches, 3 Afternoon Snacks and 3Dinners. If you have a dietary request such as vegetarian food please let us know.
- Kitchen ten and Dining tent with tables and chairs
- 4 man tent for every 2 trekkers
- Sleeping mattress
- Oxygen bottle
- First aid kit
- Entrance fee to vinicunca rainbow mountain
Services Not Included in theVinicunca Rainbow Mountain:
- Sleeping Bag (Can be rented from us : US$20.00)
- Hiking ples ( can be rented from us : US$B15.00)
- Air mattress ( can be rented from us : US$ 20.00)
- lunch and dinner on Day 4
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu Mountain or machupicchu mountain
- Travel Insurance – you are strongly recommended to take out travel insurance for the duration of your VinicuncaRainbow Mountain.
What to bring to the Rainbow Mountains Cusco:
- Original Passport
- ISIC card (if you are a student and want to qualify for the discount)
- Walking boots
- Waterproof jacket / rain poncho
- Warm jacket
- Hat and gloves
- Comfortable Trousers
- Sun hat
- Sun cream (factor 35 or higher)
- Insect repellant
- Toiletries and hand sanitiser
- Personal medication
- Camera and film with extra batteries
- Torch with spare batteries
Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain- Prices
- 2017 – Price per person US$550.00 (adults)
Private groups Price
- 2017 – Price per person US$600.00 ( adults)
Important: Price includes up to 7 kilos of your personal belongings to be carried by the mules (NO need of extra Porter hire!).
- Student Discount: US$20 (Requires ISIC Card to qualify)
- Under 18’s Discount: US$20
- Sleeping Bag US$20
- Walking Pole US$15
- Inflatable Mattress US$20
- Single Tent Supplement US$35
Optional upgrade (Need to book in advance):
- Machu Picchu Mountain climbing: USD 25.00 (Need to book in advance)
- Huayna Picchu Mountain climbing: USD 25.00 (Need to book in advance)
- Vistadome Train Aguas Calientes-Cusco: USD50.00 (Need to book in advance)
- Extra Night in Aguas Calientes: Depends on the type of Hotel desired (Need to book in advance)
How to book (Group or Private Service):
You can either book by emailing us or by using the Booking form provided on this site.
By e-mail: email@example.com
Send us your main Departure date and back up date: By providing us with a main date and a back up date for your Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain (Classic Inca Trail, Short Inca Trail, Lares Trek, Ancascocha Peru Trek, Cachicata Hike, etc.) automatically andean path travel going to reply your email.
Send us your Personal Details for Booking:
- Full name
- Passport number
- Date of birh
Student rate: In order to obtain this discount you must have a valid ISIC card. It is important you scan and e-mail this to us at the time of booking and that it is valid on the date you are booked on the Inca Trail / Alternative trek (you will need to show the real ISIC card http://www.isiccard.com upon your arrival here in Cusco and in Machu Picchu).
Payment of deposit amount is:
- US$ 200 per person for the Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain
- NOTE: If you want to climb to Wayna Picchu or Machu Picchu mountain let us know in advence please because they allow only 400 peoples for both mountains and also you need add on top Price
US$ 25.00 for huaynapicchu or Machupicchu mountain
There are 2 time sessions:
- First group of 200 hikes is from 7 – 8 am o
- Second group of 200 hikers is from 10 – 11am – this also needs to be specified although you need to be flexible to either time.
Payment of the deposit can be made through 1 following options:
- We accept deposits through PayPal.The Paypal deposit is US $200 dollars per person. Paypal charges a fee of 6%, so the deposit will actually be US $212 dollars per person. The Paypal fee does not count toward the final Vinicunca Rainbow Mountainprice. Through Paypal you will send the deposit to firstname.lastname@example.org
Booking your Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain with andean path travel you are choosing the best local company Cusco – Peru
Don’t believe us? Check out our reviews on tripadvisor… Join us for the adventures of you lifetime
We look forward to Vinicunca Rainbow Mountainwith you in 2017!!